When you pop a painkiller to relieve a headache you are actually trying to quieten your body's distress signals instead of discovering and addressing the underlying imbalance.
The culprit is usually an imbalanced Vata-the most dominant and restless of the three doshas.
How Vata Headaches Happen
There are several factors that can cause Vata to go out of balance. Some of them are:
- Not sleeping well
- Not eating foods that nurture the brain
- Eating very dry or cold foods
- Eating leftovers or junk foods
- Keeping an irregular routine of meals and sleep
- Overexposure to cool, dry air
- Excessive reading, television watching or stressing at work
- Excessive air travel
- Not enough water
Before popping a painkiller, try drinking 2 glasses of water and wait 20 minutes, that usually does the trick.
More info on Ayurvedic Headache Cures are available at mapi.com